Chocolate Chip Banana Brookie Bars
Chocolate chip cookies? Brownies? These homemade banana brookies are the best of both. Seriously.
But what are brookies? Brookies are a tasty treat that consists of two layers – a chocolate chip cookie layer and a brownie layer. And this brookie recipe has a special twist to it – there’s also a thin layer of sliced bananas in between the brownie layer. So these are essentially banana brownie cookies.
I really don’t think it can get any better than these. The banana layer adds a natural sweetness to the brookie and makes it less heavy and dense. The moist brownie layer works perfect with the cookie layer – it’s just such a crowd-pleasing dessert and so easy to make!
How to make chocolate brookies
To make this easy brookies recipe, you’ll need to make the cookie layer and the brownie layer separate.
The Cookie Layer
The ingredients you need to make the cookie layer includes:
- Butter, all-purpose flour, raw cane sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, an egg, salt, baking soda and chocolate chips
I like to use a mix of raw cane sugar and white sugar, as it makes the brookies slightly less sweet than using just white sugar – but this is not a necessity. If you only have one type of sugar, the brookies will still taste delicious!
The Brownie Layer
For the brownie layer you’ll need:
- Bananas, white sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract, eggs, cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt
You don’t need to add the banana to the brookies if you don’t want to. The dessert will taste just as tasty without it – I just find that the banana complements the chocolate brownie layer so much and stops the brookies from becoming too dry.
How long to bake the brookies for?
Once you’ve assembled the brookies, you should bake them at 180 Degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. To check if the brookies are cooked, poke the brookies with a toothpick. It should come out nice and clean with no raw brownie or cookie dough attached.
Can you freeze brookies?
Yes! You can freeze these banana brookies! I like to bake a large batch of them whenever we have overripe bananas. I then freeze them and take it out whenever I fancy something sweet. The good thing about freezing these brookies is that they defrost really quickly and taste just as good after being frozen!
Hints and tips to make the perfect brookie
To check if the brookies are cooked, insert a toothpick into the treats – if it comes out nice and clean, the brookies are done. If you accidentally poked the melted chocolate chips, this can be deceiving. You want to make sure the actual batter doesn’t stick to the toothpick, not the melted chocolate chips.
Looking for other desserts? Try these:
- Melt In The Mouth Pineapple Tarts
Final thoughts on these tasty Chocolate Chip and Banana Brookies
This is honestly a dessert you won’t regret making! It’s a crowd favourite and so easy to make! If you’re looking for something different to bake, this is the one for you!
Let’s Connect – Check out my Youtube Channel, Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for my latest updates!
Banana Brookies (Chocolate Brownie Cookies)Cuisine: DessertDifficulty: Easy
- Cookie Layer
113g unsalted butter
160g all purpose flour
60g light brown sugar
40g white sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
100g chocolate chips
- Brownie Layer
100g white sugar
113g melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
35g cocoa powder
65g all purpose flour
¼ tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp salt
- Cookie Layer
- Add the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl. Whisk this until smooth.
- Add the egg and whisk until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add ⅓ of the flour to step (1) and mix this until smooth. Repeat until all the flour is mixed into the dough.
- Add chocolate chips and mix until even.
- Brownie Layer
- Cut the banana into thin slices.
- Melt the butter in a medium-large pot.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the sugar and vanilla extract to the pan. Mix this until even.
- Add the eggs and mix vigorously.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Add the cookie dough to a tray and even it out.
- Evenly add a thin layer of the brownie batter over the cookie layer.
- Add the banana slices over the thin brownie layer.
- Add the remaining brownie batter over the banana slices and even it out.
- Bake this at 180 Degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes. (Insert a toothpick into the brookies – it’s cooked if it comes out clean)
- Cut the brookies into your desired size. Enjoy 🙂
If you’d like to know the nutritional facts of this recipe, then visit VeryWellFit. I choose to not put nutritional facts on my recipes, as I don’t want that to be the main focus of a delicious dish.