This is a delicious and very simple beef lettuce cups recipe. It’s such an easy dish to make and a healthy alternative to tacos or tortilla wraps! It requires very little cooking and serves as a great appetiser or snack throughout the day!
How to make beef lettuce wraps:
To make the beef marinade for these lettuce cups, you’ll only need some beef, soy sauce, sugar, corn starch and sesame oil. For the main lettuce cup ingredients, you’ll need a carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, mushroom, garlic and either iceberg or romaine lettuce.
You can make ground beef lettuce cups if you don’t want to chop the beef yourself. There are many different beef types you can use – I like to use sirloin beef and then chop that into smaller pieces.
If you don’t want to use beef, alternative include:
Prawns or shrimp
There are loads of other ingredients that you can add to this dish. Extra vegetables includes:
Why you should try this dish:
This beef lettuce wraps recipe is so simple. It’s a great appetiser and the lettuce cup is a healthier option to taco shells and tortilla wraps. This is also such a versatile recipe – you can use whatever meat and vegetables you have readily available in your fridge. It doesn’t require any specific vegetables to taste delicious.
If you like your food spicy, you can add Sriracha sauce or chilli flakes to your lettuce cups. An extra ingredient you can use to top the lettuce cups is sesame seeds.
What to serve with beef lettuce wraps:
These Asian beef lettuce cups serve as great appetisers or snacks. They are not filling enough to be the main meal but are great to keep you going throughout the day. Other appetisers you can serve these beef lettuce wraps with are spring rolls.
Can you freeze beef lettuce cups?
The beef mixture in the lettuce wraps can be frozen once cooked. I would not recommend freezing it with the lettuce cups, as lettuce is best served fresh.
Hints and Tips:
- Let the beef marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer you let the beef marinate, the more flavourful it will be.
- Char Siu Sou (Chinese BBQ Pork Puff Pastry Pockets)
- Indian Kachumber Salad (Spicy Cucumber Peanut Salad)
- Chinese Almond Cookies
- Shrimp Stuffed Bell Peppers
Beef Lettuce CupsCourse: Appetizers, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
1/3 bell pepper
1 brown onion
2 garlic cloves
1 iceberg lettuce
- Beef marinade
2 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
1 heap tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp sesame oil
- Beef marinade
- Chop the beef into smaller 1cm pieces
- Add the beef, light soy sauce, sugar, corn starch and sesame oil to a bowl and mix well.
- Let this marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Minced the garlic.
- Cut the onions into cubes.
- Shred the carrot and zucchini into smaller pieces.
- Cut the mushrooms and bell pepper into smaller pieces.
- Cut the bottom of the iceberg lettuce to form lettuce cups.
- Fry the garlic in a bit of oil for one minute.
- Add the onions and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the minced beef and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables. Mix thoroughly until cooked.
- Spoon the mixture into lettuce cups.
- (Optional) add sriracha sauce, chilli flakes or sesame seeds.