Don’t be tempted to buy ready-made supermarket croutons! They are way too overpriced! You can make croutons using just two ingredients in under 10 minutes!
I highly recommend you make your own. They’re fresh, easy to make, taste better and are a lot cheaper! They only require two ingredients: bread and olive oil. It’s the perfect accompaniment to a delicious chicken caesar salad!
What ingredients I use:
To make these extra crispy croutons, only two ingredients are needed: bread and olive oil. I like to use day-old bread, as it makes the bread crispier, however fresh bread also works well.
You can pretty much use any bread. I like to use square bread or german Halbweissbrot, but you can easily use baguette bread or ciabatta as an alternative.
Why I like this dish:
I absolutely love making my own croutons because I can control exactly how I want them to be. Store-bought croutons are always mass produced, less healthy and more expensive. A piece of bread and olive oil will cost you a lot less than buying them pre-made at the supermarket. And you can make them within 10 minutes!
What goes well with croutons:
I absolutely love eating croutons with my chicken caesar salad. It creates a good contrast between the soft, tender chicken and the crispy croutons.
Hints and Tips:
- If you want more taste, add some salt to the croutons.
- Homemade croutons tend to stay crispy for a few days. I recommend you make a larger portion and store the extras in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- If you’re using square bread, don’t throw away the two ends. Use the two ends, because they tend to be thicker and are perfect for making croutons.
Similar Snacks include:
Extra Crispy CroutonsDifficulty: Easy
1 slice of day old bread
2-3 tbsp of oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Cut a slice of bread into cubes (about 1cm).
- Mix evenly with olive oil.
- Place cubes onto a grease proof baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until crispy. Enjoy 🙂
Learn how to make a simple chicken caesar salad recipe to accompany these croutons.
- Optional: You can add salt to the croutons for more taste