One of the easiest meals to make as a student is a chicken caesar salad. It’s affordable and very tasty. It’s a handy dish to make when you have some leftover chicken and don’t know what to do with it.
I feel like most salads that are served in restaurants are always so extravagant – they use loads of different ingredients that aren’t really necessary. My chicken caesar salad recipe tastes delicious and doesn’t take ages to make.
What is it:
This simple chicken caesar salad consists of romaine lettuce, leftover rotisserie chicken and croutons with a caesar dressing. Chicken caesar salad is believed to have originated in Mexico. It’s a light meal that has a good balance between poultry and salad.
You don’t necessarily have to use rotisserie chicken. Any leftover chicken with any flavour works well with a chicken caesar salad. If you don’t have any romaine lettuce available, regular lettuce is a good alternative. However, I personally prefer using romaine lettuce, as it’s crispier and less watery. Other additional ingredients to add include:
- Parmesan cheese
- Julienne carrots
Why I like this chicken caesar salad dish:
As a student, I’m constantly looking for new dishes to make that are cheap, easy to make and still tastes delicious. Chicken caesar salad is one of the easiest meals to make because it doesn’t require any cooking and the prep time is quick. It’s also a very filling meal that will keep you going for the rest of the day. To accompany my caesar salad, I like to make some simple but crispy croutons.
Hints and Tips:
- I highly recommend you make your own croutons. They are very easy to make and are a lot cheaper than store-bought croutons.
- Using day-old bread is better to make croutons. It makes the croutons crispier.
- Parmesan cheese can be easily left out if you don’t have it ready. The caesar sauce is already cheesy.
Similar easy, student friendly dishes include:
- Simple Roast Potatoes Recipe
- Easy Baked potatoes with cheese and bacon recipe
- Simple Carbonara recipe
Chicken Caesar SaladCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
A super simple chicken caesar salad recipe, perfect for any occasion!
chicken (either thighs, breast or leg)
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp paprika powder
1 tbsp garlic powder/salt
6 large romaine leaves
16 pieces of croutons (equivalent to 1 piece of bread)
3 tbsp caesar dressing
1 tsp grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Massage the olive oil into the chicken.
- Sprinkle the paprika powder and garlic powder on the chicken.
- Roast this for 20-30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Once cooled, cut the chicken into smaller slices.
- Wash the romaine lettuce thoroughly and pat dry.
- Cut the lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Debone and chop chicken into smaller, bite-sized pieces
- Toss lettuce, shredded chicken and croutons together and add caesar dressing.
- Optional: Garnish with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy 🙂
- Tip 1: add chopped baby plum tomatoes and julienne carrot for extra colour
- Tip 2: add lime juice for extra zest