Every single meal should have a good balance between meat and vegetables. One of the simplest side dishes I make is garlic spinach. It’s a very Chinese dish and tastes great! It’s one of my favourites – you should definitely make this dish if you’re looking for something simple and quick to make.
What ingredients I use:
This vegetable dish only consists of four ingredients: sunflower oil, garlic, salt and spinach. It’s such a simple dish, using minimal ingredients.
I’m a massive garlic fan. I make loads of dishes that include garlic, and vegetable dishes aren’t an exception. There are many alternatives to using spinach in this dish. I like to fry other vegetables with garlic too, such as:
- Cabbage with garlic
- Broccoli with garlic
- Chinese leaves with garlic
- Cauliflower with garlic
- Bak choi with garlic
- Morning glory with garlic
Why I like this garlic spinach side dish:
It’s a great side dish to share with others. The spinach tastes great mixed with the garlic. It’s also really easy to make and doesn’t take long. I also prefer cooked spinach over raw spinach as it tastes less bitter. It’s a perfect dish with lots of nutritional benefits and simple make.
Learn more about the health benefits of spinach here.
What goes well with garlic spinach:
I make garlic spinach as a side dish to a main Chinese dish. It goes well with virtually any Chinese dishes, such as:
Hints and Tips:
- I prefer using baby spinach. The leaves are smaller, making them easier to clean. I find baby spinach also less bitter than normal spinach.
- You don’t need to cook the garlic for too long before you add the spinach. A couple of minutes is enough to brown them.
- Place a handful of spinach into the pan each time. Uncooked spinach uses up a lot of space, so you should slowly mix in the spinach before adding more. Don’t worry if the amount of raw spinach looks like a lot. It will quickly wilt down when cooked.
- Once cooked, you can drain some of the excess water.
4 cloves of garlic
250g baby spinach
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Finely chop up garlic
- Thoroughly wash and rinse the baby spinach, preferably in salty water.
- Add oil into a frying pan at high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until they start to brown.
- Add all the spinach and toss the mixture together for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Enjoy 🙂