Black Bean spare ribs – simple, easy and delicious. It’s a Chinese dish often found at dim sum. It consists of ribs, chopped into bite-sized pieces and coated with black bean sauce before being steamed. It’s often served at dim sum, but can also be accompanied by plain rice and a vegetable side dish.
What ingredients you need to make these black bean spare ribs:
Aside from the pork ribs, you’ll need black beans. We often use it when making steamed black bean salmon fish or black bean chicken. It’s very simple to make and tastes delicious.
Other ingredients used includes garlic, shaoxing wine, light & dark soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn flour.
If you don’t want to use pork ribs, you could use pork belly or chicken wings instead. Pork belly is readily available in supermarkets, but is slightly more expensive.
I personally prefer using pork ribs because the chopped ribs expose the marrowbone that adds a bit more flavour to the dish. I also prefer the pork ribs because the meat around the bone isn’t as dry as other parts of the pork.
The shaoxing wine is not a necessity – it’s used to get rid of the smell of raw meat and creates a richer flavour. The corn flour is used to thicken up the sauce, though that is not a necessity either.
What to serve with these black bean spare ribs:
When eating black bean spare ribs outside of dim sum, it is often accompanied by plain rice, and other Chinese dishes, such as steamed fish or garlic spinach vegetable dish.
How to store black bean spare ribs:
You can easily refrigerate these black bean spare ribs in an airtight container. To reheat, steam the ribs for 10-15 minutes.
Hints and Tips:
You don’t have to mash up the black beans. Mashing it just brings out the flavour more.
When you buy pork ribs at the supermarket, they are usually whole ribs. You will need to chop them into bite-sized pieces or ask the butcher to do it for you.
Similar Recipes includes:
Steamed Black Bean RibsCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
300g pork ribs
2 tbsp black beans
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp shaoxing wine (rice wine)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp sesame oil
3-4 tbsp corn flour
- Wash and chop pork ribs into bite-sized pieces and place in bowl.
- Rinse black beans with water and drain. Then soak the black beans in fresh water for 10 minutes before draining it once more.
- Peel and finely chop garlic.
- Mash the black beans and garlic using pestle and mortar (this extracts the full flavour of the black beans).
- Add black beans and garlic to the ribs.
- Add the shaoxing wine (rice wine) to the ribs.
- Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn flour to the ribs.
- Mix thoroughly. Cover and leave in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Steam ribs for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions. Enjoy 🙂